We are in the process is renovating our kitchen. One of the things we are doing is installing a more modern range hood instead of the older under cabinet hood. The new hood requires us to create a new vent hole and so our problem is "how do we close and permanently seal the old vent hole on the outside which was much lower?" Especially on the outside - can I cover it with wood and then siding or are kits made for this task?

  • What is the outside surface of your house? Shingle, stucco, clap-board?
    – Steven
    Feb 6, 2016 at 7:18
  • Hi Steven. The outside surface is aluminum siding. Feb 6, 2016 at 10:31
  • Do you have any spare pieces of the siding, even a scrap or two?
    – bib
    Feb 6, 2016 at 15:25
  • I do. Just bought one piece from homedepot. Thinking of attaching exterior plywood over the gap, sealing the edges with caulk from out and in and then put up spare siding. Will that work? Feb 6, 2016 at 16:39

1 Answer 1


The 'ducting area' of most hardware stores will carry caps that fit over common sizes of duct. Buy one for the interior and seal it in with silicon as close to the outer wall as possible. On the outside these vents are almost always covered with a downward angled cover. Just spray in "large crack foam" and you may not even need to move the cover. I wouldn't even bother to conceal the outer cover, houses have these kinds of covers all over.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.