I have a mirror that is larger than the hole left from removing a medicine cabinet in our bathroom, and I plan to mount it so it covers the hole entirely. I don't want to just leave the empty hole there, though.

I'd prefer not to seal up the hole with drywall as I believe at some point we may put another medicine cabinet in that room. I would like to put some insulation in there and I need something to hold that insulation in place.

Any recommendations? Would some sort of plastic be OK to cover the hole and hold in the insulation?

  • Is this an exterior wall?
    – Tester101
    Feb 3, 2016 at 16:32
  • Yes, this is exterior Feb 3, 2016 at 16:43

1 Answer 1


Plastic stapled to the face of the wall will work as you noted. Also any thin veneer such as a door skin so it overlaps the opening will prove to be a bit more rigid if that matters and is easily cut with a utility knife.

if you can't hit he studs the door skin should still remain in place with only some small box head-type nails.

  • I think the residential building codes used in most jurisdictions require covering insulation with drywall, plaster or wood products of specified fire-resistance specifications.
    – bib
    Feb 3, 2016 at 16:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.