I have two light switches which control the same light (is this known as a 3way connection?). I would like to replace one of the switches with a Z-wave light switch so I can incorporate the light in some home automation scenes.

Can I do this by just replacing one of the existing light switches with a Z-wave enabled one? Do I need to look for a special 3-way Z-Wave light switch? Do such things exist?

I am handy, but definitely not an electrician.

Here is a picture of how the switch is currently wired:

enter image description here

  • Can you post photos of the insides of the switch boxes please? – ThreePhaseEel Jan 30 '16 at 17:38
  • Yeah, I think you will need a switch that can work in a 3-way circuit for the other light switch to continue working. – ArchonOSX Jan 30 '16 at 17:59
  • @ArchonOSX -- if he can get us photos of the boxes, I can likely tell if he has a neutral at the switch or not. If he has a neutral at the switch, then he could use a single-pole Z-wave light switch to control a SPDT relay ;) – ThreePhaseEel Jan 30 '16 at 20:55
  • I will post photos next weekend. Sorry about the delay on the photos, but I get home after 6pm on weekdays and it is too dark with the breaker off to take pictures. – codechurn Jan 30 '16 at 22:10
  • @ThreePhaseEel as requested a photo has been added. Looking forward to what you guys have to say. – codechurn Feb 6 '16 at 16:07

Unfortunately, your 3-way switch install isn't compatible with Z-wave switches -- even if a 3-way Z-wave switch existed, all the Z-wave devices I know of require a neutral to function, and you don't have that. Instead, you have an old-style switch loop where the white wire is retagged to be a traveler, hot, or switched hot instead of a neutral.

  • Unfortunately, not the answer I was looking for, but I appreciate the input. – codechurn Feb 7 '16 at 15:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.