My Honda EU3000 generator has two types of output receptacles. One takes a usual (USA) 3 prong 110v plug. The other is also 110v but seems to take some type of twist connector. I need to find an adapter to change it to the usual 3 prong plug. What is this twist connection called and are there adapters to standard 3 prong plug type?enter image description here


Just what you asked in your question. It's called a "twist lock" receptacle and accepts a twist lock plug. You will find this type of plug at the temporary power pole on job sites. They have the distinct ability once plugged and locked-in the receptacle to remain plugged-in no matter how the extension cord is pulled. This has saved many foot steps back and forth to re-connect for power.

And yes you can buy change over adapters that have a male twist-lock and a 3 prong standard female plug at each end.

  • Some twist lock plugs have 3 prongs, others 4 prongs, and not all the same shape or configeration. Does this one connector have a unique name? – Yehuda_NYC Jan 29 '16 at 1:51
  • 2
    @Yehuda_NYC, look on the receptacle itself. It will say the configuration right on the face. It's probably an L5-20 or L5-30. That would be a 20A/120V or 30A/120V. – Speedy Petey Jan 29 '16 at 1:53
  • Yes that is correct. I guess to qualify the name you can ask for a 3 or 4 prong twist lock plug. But it is a twist lock none the less. – ojait Jan 29 '16 at 1:54
  • @SpeedyPetey Yes. it is labeled NEMA M5-30. Thanks. Put it in answer answer and I'll accept it. – Yehuda_NYC Jan 29 '16 at 14:08

With your help I learned that the twist connector receptacle on the generator is an L5-30 and the regular 3 prong 120v outlet plug is called a 5-20. So I ended up getting this adaptor: http://www.zoro.com/power-first-cord-adapter-20a-l5-30-5-20-4fzz2/i/G0860334/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.