This question already has an answer here:

I'm upgrading the thermostat with a Honeywell wifi one. I found all cables at the thermostat end, but can't figure out where to connect the C wire to the furnace (Rheem REAB 1415J).

Wiring Diagram

marked as duplicate by Tester101 wiring May 27 '16 at 11:37

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Do any of the other questions on the site regarding the C-wire help (there are quite a few)? If not, how is your problem different? A photograph of the wiring and the wiring diagram would also help. – BMitch Jan 26 '16 at 21:10
  • 1
    Can you identify the 24VAC transformer? One wire coming from it will go to the same place the "red" wire on the thermostat, and the other will be what you need for the C wire. There are plenty of C-wire questions to help once you find the transformer and associated connections. – JPhi1618 Jan 26 '16 at 21:12
  • Is there a schematic printed inside the unit? If so, can you post a clear photo of it? – Tester101 Jan 26 '16 at 22:28
  • 1
    Can you get us a better photo of the schematic? – ThreePhaseEel Apr 28 '16 at 3:03

In thermostat wiring, C stands for Common. Look for a terminal labeled Com, which is another abbreviation for common.

I did not look up your thermostat, however it is likely that it needs the common wire to work properly. Many thermostats don't really need a common wire but it is almost always recommended to have one especially with these "smarter" thermostats. More information about the common terminal can be found here and here. Some thermostats have a couple of batteries that they can run off of instead of using the common but that would likely not include a wifi enabled one because it uses more power than a simple programmable model.

I hope this helps.


C is the unswitched line from the transformer. 2 wires come from the transformer, look for the one that connects direcctly to one side of every load and find its terminal. The switched line is the other line from the transformer and goes to all the controls. Most systems use C. Trane/ American Std use B.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.