I have a beautiful post of reclaimed wood and I'd like to make it into a lamp. Not sure how to do this but I know the first step is to drill a hole all the way through it lengthwise. What is the tool and technique for this job and might I find a woodshop that could help me with it?

  • Probably a drill press, but that would work only if you have a bit long enough that won't deviate too much. How long and wide is the post? – Daniel Griscom Jan 24 '16 at 19:13

Long (18" and longer) drill bits do exist. If the hole is wide enough, bit extensions are also usable.

However, there's also a simple-but-elegant cheat. Cut the piece lengthwise, rout a channel in one or both sides, glue back together. If you make a thin-kerf cut, and are careful during reassembly, the glue line can be nearly invisible -- especially on straight-grained wood with the cut aligned with the grain lines.

  • +1 When I read the question, splitting the post immediately came to mind, and, lo and behold, you answered it! – bib Jan 24 '16 at 20:47
  • For the kerf to be thin enough, would you have to use a band saw, or are there other options? Seems like even a thin-kerf table saw blade would be too much. – JPhi1618 Jan 25 '16 at 14:49
  • If you're cutting generally with the grain dividing and reassembling is surprisingly forgiving. – keshlam Jan 25 '16 at 14:53
  • My thoughts were somewhere between this and taking a notch out of the backside (towards wall) putting wires in the trough then covering with scrap wood to match. Since yours is a more likely method I'll upvote and just comment. – Dopeybob435 Jan 26 '16 at 15:59

Depends on the diameter and length. You may be able to use a conventional type bit and go half way from each end; I have made about 16" hole in 2" diameter that way . An expensive alternative is a gun drill (bit); it does not have spiral flutes and only cuts on one side of the point , and it can drill gun barrels. If the diameter is "large", a auger bit may do it, they make a pretty straight hole , but I never used on for this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.