I don't know if this has been done before, because because I rent, can not do any installation therefore a slip and window A/C is not an option for me and only portable is okay. But I heard that the portable is noisy.

So I wonder if it is possible to put the outside in the backyard (my window faces the backyard) and make some modification to the portable A/C by connecting the cold air to the hose through the window into the room.

Is that possible?

  • 3
    You can't have a window unit, but you can have this thing sitting outside? Where someone can steal it...? Is the rule simply that you cannot have AC units sticking out of your windows or that you cannot modify, in anyway, the apartment? What will you stick in the window to block around the vents which would be any different than a window unit that isn't screwed in?
    – Mazura
    Jan 23 '16 at 9:46

There are commercial units designed for this application, there should be no reason you could not convert yours for it.

However, you should consider:

  • if your unit is rated for indoor use only, you will be voiding the warranty and possible creating a shock/electrocution hazard; use a G.F.C.I. please
  • UV damage caused by exposure to sunlight, consider a shade structure
  • restriction of factory vent ports by McGyvering duct work to it may cause sub-optimal performance or may cause damage to the unit
  • air inlet exposure to outdoor dust and debris could affect the unit

enter image description hereenter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.