Purchased an older home with odd custom kitchen cabinets. I am wanting to remove the ugly box range vent and add a box shelf and an OTR microwave, but the width between my side cabinets is 28 inches. How big of a problem is it to move these cabinets over to increase the width.

enter image description here

closed as unclear what you're asking by isherwood, BMitch Jul 20 '16 at 18:06

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    It depends how they are fastened to the wall, whether you can move them in sections, is there space at the far end for them to move into, etc. etc. etc. Pictures might help us better advise you. – Daniel Griscom Jan 20 '16 at 3:04
  • 1
    You may also need to look at how it would affect trim like crown molding and the backsplash. – bender Jan 20 '16 at 3:35
  • Pictures would tell us how easy/hard it would be to create a 30" cabinet to match your existing cabs. (Or if you could somehow magically gain 1" on each side.) If this is a short-term fix, then LG makes a 22" OTR unit. (LMV1314) – Aloysius Defenestrate Jan 20 '16 at 14:56
  • What do you intend to fill the gap above the microwave with? Almost any range hood microwave requires top-mount support. – isherwood Jan 21 '16 at 20:27

Picture(s) would help for your "move these cabinets over" statement. But, if you have room then it's just unscrew from each other & from studs...in that order. To then re-mount them to other studs & back to each other.

However, you may also be able to swap cabinets to get a few more inches. If you have cabinets on other walls there may be a thinner one in an area that can accept the fatter one.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.