I need to install a sub-panel in my home. Both the main panel and the sub panel are in the same building. I purchased a Square D Homeline Indoor Plug-On Neutral panel (Model # HOM2040M100PCVP) for this. I plan on using aluminum 2-2-2-4 cable to feed this 100Amp sub-panel from the main panel. When I got the new sub-panel home, I discovered that the panel is designed to place the neutral and ground on the same bus bar. Since this is a sub-panel, I understand that I need to isolate the ground from the neutral. I've purchased two Square D ground bars (Model # PK23GTACP) for this. The question is, how do I attach the #4 service ground cable to the sub-panel? Is there some kind of special clamp to attach the service ground cable to the panel body?


Install a ground lug in the panel, something like this one, or use a kit like this one. Just remember, like you said, that the neutral bar has to be isolated from the panel. It'll be on plastic/insulating stand-offs.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    This will make the job much easier, but know that most modern ground and neutral bars will accept up to a #4 conductor. It just needs to be cut cleanly and the end not buggered up. – Speedy Petey Jan 17 '16 at 18:05
  • 1
    @SpeedyPetey I presumed the OP had already tried and failed to stuff a #4 into that grounding bus. ;-) Upvoted your comment, though. – Craig Jan 17 '16 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.