Joint compound comes in larger containers than I need. I have had this problem for years where storing opened but unused joint compound leads to mold growth, usually starting within a week or two. I'd like this to not happen, or at least extend it to months or years, so I don't need to keep throwing away 95% full containers and buying new ones.
The only thing I've really tried is storing it in the fridge after opening. This has inconsistent and limited effect.
On rare occasions I have been able to store it for extended periods of time with no mold growth but I was never able to determine how I did that, and upon opening and reclosing those particular containers mold started to grow anyways.
So, my question is, how can I make unused joint compound last longer?
- Are there precautions I can take during use to reduce contamination?
- Are there ways I can store it to reduce growth?
- Are there mold killing additives that won't affect its usefulness?
- Are there certain brands or types I can look for that are less prone to mold growth?
Often any molds that grow seem to be mostly in the surface, the joint compound underneath usually seems clean, but I never really want to deal with that mess.