What kind of electrical box can be used in a kitchen island cabinet for a single duplex receptacle, where there is no structural members to attach an electrical box to? Here is a picture of the old box that was there, but I cannot find this kind of box anywhere. The box was inserted from the outside of the cabinet into a very precise sized hole, and the metal bracket attached via a screw in the center put pressure against the inside of the cabinet to keep the box in place.

old electrical box

The cabinet now has an outer panel attached to it (seen below from overhead with the drawer pulled out of the way, white is the panel, brown is the cabinet wall) and so the cabinet wall is thicker, about 1 3/8":

cabinet with panel

What sort of electrical box can I use to replace the old box given the thickness and the lack of structural support? It needs to be able to clamp FMC. Single 12-2 cable.

2 Answers 2


The box in your picture is called an "old work box". They still manufacture similar boxes, and they also make old work boxes with even more robust attachment methods. link to one of the many manufacturers. Link to old work bracket.

  • I looked at old work boxes, but most will not handle 1 3/8" deep. I'll look into the old work bracket you linked to.
    – simpleuser
    Commented Jan 12, 2016 at 6:27
  • ahh. that bracket is called an "Old Work Saddle" on that site. thanks for pointing me in that direction. hubbell-rtb.com/…
    – simpleuser
    Commented Jan 12, 2016 at 6:31
  • 1
    @user1663987 - The "more robust" ones that I run across are metal old work boxes with strap clamps on the side, like this one.
    – Comintern
    Commented Jan 12, 2016 at 23:49
  • @Comintern, those will accommodate 1 3/8" depth too, plus they are "gangable", you can join them together to create multi-gang old work boxes. Commented Jan 13, 2016 at 2:31
  • @Comintern given that I have easy access to both sides, that might be the easiest, as long add I pre-bend the ears and then manually add them inside the cabinet after inserting the box.
    – simpleuser
    Commented Jan 13, 2016 at 4:35

In the UK, I'd just use a dry-lining box.

enter image description here

It is designed for plasterboard walls, and clamps itself to the plasterboard, but no reason you can't do the same using kitchen panels.

Chances are that this wouldn't be allowed in the US, as your electric rules seem to be a lot different to ours.

  • This is really just the same thing as an old-work box :) Commented Jan 13, 2016 at 0:22
  • But knowing the alternative term is helpful. ("Two countries divided by their common language....")
    – keshlam
    Commented Sep 12, 2016 at 12:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.