I own a lot of books, and would love to display them on a bookshelf that covers an entire wall. I love the look of wood, but it is so expensive at the moment. I'm also a bit short of spare time, so I am pondering the cheapest and/or easiest way to make a large bookshelf. The compromise will be on appearance I guess.
I've had a few ideas:
- Buy from IKEA (usually very cheap) and butcher it to fit, then paint it to obscure the cheap finish
- Salvage unpainted wood from local skips (dumpsters) - I've got lots of wood this way, but never long neat planks, or enough of the same size timber!
- Run two parallel wires (or metal rods) from wall to wall, and sit the books on that - would the covers get spoilt?
- Somehow make the shelf out of old books from a charity shop?!
- Wait for Freecycle to come good...
By the way, I've bought a Kindle, which is going to reduce the problem in the future!