Can someone tell me what sort of hinge this is?

Suspect Hinge

All the cabinet hinges I can find are 180deg+ when open, whereas this is only 90deg.

They are on a set of built-in wardrobes that were here when we moved into our house. Unfortunately, one of the doors had a dirty great mirror stuck on it which is slowly killing the hinges. That door currently has only three out of five hinges actually connected - the others have broken and need replacing before the door drops off on my wife's foot.

Looking for somewhere I can source these in the UK.

  • Can you post what the text in the hinge body is?
    – Michael Karas
    Jan 3 '16 at 21:21
  • @MichaelKaras Heh. Didn't think of actually looking at that. It's GRASS US. PAT. No: RE 34.995. So it's made by GRASS Inc. I've found a document that mentions this number in connection with US Pat #5,604,956, but doesn't appear to show this type (where the baseplate mounts on the face)
    – SiHa
    Jan 3 '16 at 21:32
  • If hinges are breaking, perhaps a heavier-duty hinge would be appropriate? Jan 4 '16 at 0:04
  • @Technophile: I agree that heavier-duty hinges would be a better option, but unfortunately I don't have too many choices here. That said, they have lasted the ten years we've been in the house and probably ten more before. The four other doors (without a mirror on them) are also fine, so the situation is not that bad. I do have a Forstner bit though, and will be adding extra hinges to take the increased load.
    – SiHa
    Jan 4 '16 at 8:05
  • Google for "face frame hinge UK". Note examples like "Blum 120" Jan 4 '16 at 10:13

From what I can tell these appear to be hinges made by GRASS. A look at an online retailer seems to point to these hinges:


However the above appear to be obsolete and they recommend replacing with these hinges:


enter image description here

These appear to require two separate order parts.

  • These style hinges often are stocked as two separate parts.The cabinet hardware has multiple ways of attaching, the above piece sets in a Forstner bit produced pocket in the door and will have mechanisms for 90, 135, 180 degree opening, etc.. It's mix and match to get the desired end result. Jan 3 '16 at 21:49
  • Also, these hinges are often referred to as Blum or Compact European Style cabinet hinges. Blum and Grass are common manufacturers. Jan 3 '16 at 21:57

This looks like the hinge in your photo: Grass hinge .It is labeled as a #830 or 831.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.