I've looked everywhere locally for a replacement shower stop and cannot find the right now. This is from an old shower (about 20 years). I've attached photos that show the size on top of a ruler.

The wide part is about 7/8" diameter, the narrow part is about 5/8". The hole in the center is about 3/8" diameter. It's plastic, and about 1/8" in thickness.

Any ideas? I'd really rather not replace the entire cartridge for this one small part, since that would involve taking out tile, etc....



wide view narrow view


1 Answer 1


I'd say Screw It. That is, I haven't found any glue to be permanent & have had fantastic results only with screws. Screws for plastic that are coarse threaded are the best. Find tiny screws, coarse or fine thread, & pre-drill homes for them slightly tinier than the screw's threads, you'll need a precision or eyeglasses screw driver to seat them...I'd do both the crack & the split. And, still crazy glue it just before your screws re-join everything for a good as or better than new stop. Then, you'll also have a solid part to even make a joint compound mold & make your own new stop...it's just plastic & any PVC or ABS would do. I'd even bet you could quite easily make your own out of a thick metal washer with some very careful jig-sawing & drilling, it ain't gotta be pretty it just needs to last.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.