A few of the covers for these are missing in my house and I can't figure out what to search for for replacements. I'm referring to the dirty, vertical rectangular thing in this picture:

enter image description here

Full size picture here.

1 Answer 1


Those are safety catches that prevent the window from being opened all the way.

They pop out, and with the window unlocked, they let it open just a few inches. Supposedly an intruder cannot open the window enough to crawl in, and more importantly a child cannot crawl or fall out.

If these little catches are not in place then all you have are cosmetic closure caps.

Here is a photo: enter image description here

  • More importantly, they make it (more) difficult for a child to open the window far enough to fall out. Liability management...
    – keshlam
    Commented Dec 31, 2015 at 5:02
  • @keshlam, you are right. I forgot to mention that. Commented Dec 31, 2015 at 13:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.