I have a concrete patio with a 4-foot by 2-foot shallow oval area that retains water. The concrete is sort of a knockdown pattern (see photo). How do I resolve this depression without smoothing it over and making it slippery? How do I level the area and make the pattern match the surrounding area?


  • 2
    You're going to have to add material and "smooth it over" to make the surface level, then add a top coat of the same material/style to match the rest. So I guess your question is really "how to I level the surface and then match the surrounding area". – JPhi1618 Dec 30 '15 at 22:05
  • That would be correct. – JoshDM Dec 30 '15 at 23:44
  • @JPhi1618 - what sort of material? – JoshDM Jan 4 '16 at 3:44

Is this a drain strip?

enter image description here

If so it may be possible to cut some shallow grooves in the patio concrete decking to conduct the standing water in the depression over to the drain strip.

enter image description here

It would obviously be your choice but this may look better overall than a smoothed on patch or filler. Such grooves could be cut by someone experienced with using a portable power grinder with a thin cutoff type blade.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, that is a drain strip. – JoshDM Dec 30 '15 at 23:45
  • The area where the water puddles has been worn down over time so the area has many dimples that collect dirt. I had recently bleached it to get it clean. – JoshDM Dec 30 '15 at 23:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.