I'm painting some MDF doors, and noticed that someone appears to have run a stanley knife over one of them, perhaps whilst removing them from their packing.

I've sanded the area back as much as I can, but the groove isn't completely gone. What should I use to fill the remaining void?


Depends on size. For significant blems, I'd try wood putty, handling it as if it were joint compound. If that didn't work, I might just give up and actually use joint compound...

However, remember that for small nichs and scratches paint itself can fill small irregularities, especially if you scuff-sand between coats or otherwise actively level the surface.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.