When we turn any of our taps on or off it creates a set pattern of three knocks behind the main bedroom wall. We have a steel framed house. How can we eliminate this sound?

  • Do you have an expansion tank on your water line? Did this just start happening or has it always been so?
    – bib
    Commented Dec 10, 2015 at 13:28
  • How do I get to the pipes
    – Linda
    Commented Dec 11, 2015 at 20:38
  • We bought the house a year ago and it was already like that. The house is 7 years old.
    – Linda
    Commented Dec 11, 2015 at 20:40

1 Answer 1


the pipes are loose and you are hearing water hammer securing the pipes can fix the problem. another fix is to install a absorber link to one at home depot so you can see what I was referring to.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.