I want to hang my fire extinguisher on the cabinet next to my sink. Below are pictures of the fire extinguisher bracket and the location where I want to put it. Should I use a bolt with a nut - or some sort of screw?

Mounting bracket

Side of cabinet

Fire extinguisher

  • You could improve this post by making the pictures in to thumbnails that link to the full-sized image. – Jay Bazuzi Jul 30 '11 at 17:34

Probably too heavy for wood screws into chipboard cabinets.
If the screws don't work then a couple of bolts with penny washers.

The extinguisher looks a bit battered, you should check the trigger mechanism looks ok. BUT don't try and squirt it a little bit - the cooling gas can make ice form in the valve and stop it turning off

| improve this answer | |
  • The trigger mechanism appears to be OK. My wife's cousin is moving, so he gave me a bunch of stuff I had been needing. The outer of the extinguisher looks beat up, but the trigger mechanism is good. The gauge shows full charge. It feels heavy so I believe that. – Brian Jul 30 '11 at 13:56

It looks like the holes on the mounting bracket are shaped for a bugle head, which AFAIK limits you to using a screw. (Well, you could use a bolt, but the head would push the extinguisher out so that it's not parallel to the cabinet face which would look untidy, IMO.)

If your cabinets are 3/4" plywood, the screws probably all you need. If they're made from particleboard, you should add some reinforcement in the form of extra wood to hold onto: glue a piece of plywood to the inside of the cabinet and screw into that. Most cabinets that I've seen have a lip around the front edges, so if you use a piece that doesn't protrude past that lip and fills the full depth of the cabinet and the height between the shelves, it'll be less noticeable.

| improve this answer | |
  • They are particleboard. Good idea about the plywood. – Brian Jul 30 '11 at 14:11
  • You can get a screw head that is threaded for a nut. – BMitch Jul 30 '11 at 14:41
  • @bmitch: I couldn't find any in a search at Lowe's or HD's websites. But using one would still leave you with a nut/washer/bolt on the inside of the cabinet which I for one would find ugly. – Niall C. Jul 30 '11 at 16:28
  • 1
    @Niall: The term to search for is "machine screw". If you cut it to the right size, you can use a "cap nut" instead of a normal nut, which would look a bit better, but I'm pretty sure it would be a pain to install since they limit the depth of the bolt. You might be able to find a plastic cap, similar to what you have on the toilet base, if you look hard enough. – BMitch Jul 30 '11 at 17:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.