I have an older house that has these on the wall of the two bedrooms:

enter image description here

Does anyone know what they might be? I took one out and it is has a long metal rod, but I cannot see anything that it attaches to or pushes. Trying to decide if this needs to stay or if I can remove and patch the walls.

Edit: Here's a pic of it removed:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Does it pop out (spring loaded) if you push it in? If so, how far does it come out? Might it be a hanging rod for clothing? – bib Nov 28 '15 at 22:52
  • No spring. By long, I just meant maybe 6" or something. This is on an outside facing wall and there's a similar one on the same wall of another room. It's really weird! :) – Rob Nov 28 '15 at 23:38
  • 2
    Are they where a door handle would hit the wall? – Tester101 Nov 29 '15 at 0:08
  • It might be the call button for the housekeeper or butler? The rod may have attached to a bell? – ojait Nov 29 '15 at 0:30
  • I am with Tester. It looks like a doorknob stop, although they are usually hard rubber not metal. It prevents damage to the wall from the doorknob hitting it. – ArchonOSX Nov 29 '15 at 0:58

It is a retractable hanging rod, also called a valet rod. It should only pull out about 7 to 10" max. I have installed theses in walk in closets.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • This doesn't extend past the exterior ring, so I don't think it's a hanging rod :/ – Rob Nov 30 '15 at 4:05

Its a button that when pushed would sound a bell or an alarm. It was used by affluent home owners to summon a house maid or butler.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.