I'm working out the details of my Mini split.

I know by code I have to have it connected to a 3/4" condensate line going outside. The Mini Split's air handler is located on an inside room where I'm forced to use a condensate pump. I currently have the condensate pump pushing out water directly via a clear hose 3/8ic hose and it's fine for now, but I want it to code.

My initial idea is to have a PVC with an elbow inside the attic to outside, and put a 3/8" bib on the end closest to the air handler and let it pump away and make sure there is a downward incline in the hose to make sure the water runs out of the house. Is this the best way? do I need a tee fitting like my whole home AC unit ( straight pipe with some sort of T fitting with no pipe on the top, and it continues out the house )?

I'm looking at doing something similar to this: https://youtu.be/HJwFgi3D-6g?t=58 at the 58 second mark

Just trying to get an idea of what I need to do. Seems straight forward, but I know that nothing is ever what it seems when you don't know what you don't know.

1 Answer 1


I don't know about code, but I don't see anything wrong with what's shown in the video. You need a 3/4" MPT threaded to 3/8" barb fitting with a small hose clamp, or a 3/4" slip x 3/8" barb fitting to connect the PVC to your hose. The T on your house A/C is probably there to provide an overflow in case the exit on the outside gets obstructed, either by dirt or by ice. Obviously you want it in a place that minimizes damage should it overflow there...

  • That's what I ended up doing, I didn't add that overflow part, but the 3/4 to a threaded brass barb fitting, attached the hose to the pipe, and clamped it down.
    – Clown Man
    Sep 13, 2018 at 6:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.