I am about to attach some trim over some old trim to cover up a particularly ugly doorframe/wall joint. I think before I do this, it may be a good idea to fill it, since otherwise there will be a large-ish space behind my trim. What would be the best filler to use in this case? The gap is too wide for caulk in some cases, I think, but I am not sure what to use instead.

Here are some photos:

enter image description here

enter image description here


If it is less than an inch, caulk will fill it fine before you cover it with trim.

Use a caulk that has high flex characteristics like a polyurethane based caulk, actually latex with silicone would work too.

Don't need to be too careful, trim will cover up the caulk.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.