When can you freely drill medium to large sized holes in studs or door jambs, and when do you need to be concerned about damaging the structural integrity of the structure?

  • 1
    please define "medium" & "large" sized holes. And are you talking about timber members?
    – Mike Perry
    Commented Jul 13, 2011 at 21:02
  • 2
    There's a big difference between studs that are part of a load-bearing wall (where there is a compressive force on the stud from the structure above) vs a non-load-bearing wall. Answers should take this into account, if the question can't be clarified (since it's worded very generically now).
    – gregmac
    Commented Jul 13, 2011 at 21:53
  • @gregmac: I'm thinking in particular of a door jamb, but I was wondering more generally about both cases. Thanks for the clarification.
    – jrdioko
    Commented Jul 13, 2011 at 22:05
  • If a plumber does the work, then yes :-)
    – Bryce
    Commented Nov 19, 2013 at 4:25

1 Answer 1


Just found this useful document (direct link to PDF) on the web. It explains in a much clear manner than I can, plus it contains some good, easy to read diagrams.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.