My new wi-fi thermostat requires a common wire coming from the 24 volt transformer. Rather than running an additional wire can I ground the common side of the transformer to the building steel ( this is a commercial application) and pick it up at the thermostat 100 feet away?

  • 1
    As @Tester101 answers - it seems like you're confusing "grounding" with actually running current through the walls of the building. That works in cars, but not in a building. – JPhi1618 Oct 21 '15 at 16:23

No. If you do as you propose, you'd be using the structure of the building as a current carrying conductor. This is not allowed by any building code that I'm familiar with.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.