I just purchased a 2 year old home in the laundry room on the wall for the washer & Dryer there is 1 - 120v Jack and 1 Nema 14-30R Jack.

My washer only needs 5a 120v Nema 5-15R.

Do I need to run a separate breaker and a stand alone outlet? (GFI or arc Fault?)

Thank you "

  • 2
    Is there anything that prevents you from converting the single 120v outlet to a dual outlet? I'm assuming the 120v outlet is already on a dedicated circuit.
    – diceless
    Oct 1, 2015 at 17:40
  • What does "1 - 120v Jack" mean?
    – Tester101
    Oct 1, 2015 at 18:01

1 Answer 1


If the 120V receptacle is a simplex (single) receptacle just replace it with a duplex. You can share it with the washer. This assumes the cord from the dryer will reach.

If you are unsure of how to do this please comment back.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.