When I moved in to the house the first thing I changed was the old mercury style T-stat to a digital one, I went wire for wire, and it has works (knocks on wood) so far. Now that I have been reading questions about WiFi T-stat and started looking at all of the different kinds that are out there, man now I want one. From what I found am going to have to run a new 6 wire T-stat wire to add the constant 24V and I have to match the rest of the wires but that is where I am confused
LET THE FUN BEGIN
I first I opened up the T-stat and from what I have read it doesn't look right. Next opened the indoor unit and found all of the wires from the T-stat and I am now really confused.
From the T-stat I have five wires.
- Green wire terminates to a Yellow with Red Dash wire, which goes to what I think is a contactor (Yellow/Red Dash wire on the right of Pic 2) = Fan motor
- Yellow wire terminates to a White wire, which goes to the outside unit = compresses
- Blue wire terminates to a Blue wire (It is hard to read but I think the wire marker says 2M= Heat or Cool contactor
- Red wire terminates to White wire that goes to one side of a low volt X-former= Control Voltage for T-stat
- White wire terminates to a Purple wire, which goes to what I think is a contactor= Heat or Cool contactor
So why is the blue and white wire together, what am I missing?