I'm currently undertaking a project to build remote controlled shades from scratch. I currently have every piece figured out except I don't know know much about the motors involved in something like this. I am looking for suggestions on what type of motor to search for. I imagine I need a type that can go forward and back as well as stop when the shade is fully retracted. I don't know what to search for though.

Any help is much appreciated.

  • It depends on the mechanism. Mine uses a linear actuator. The control system, often sold separately, will depend on the type of motor FYI.
    – aaron
    Sep 23, 2015 at 13:15
  • 1
    Oooh! Please come back and post instructions and pics about what you did when you're done. Nov 22, 2015 at 16:46

1 Answer 1


You need a gearmotor like the Dayton Model 2L003 .45 RPM 1/2800 hp 12VDC

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.