I've got some screws right next to the geyser and there’s no space to get a screwdriver in. I'm guessing they were originally inserted before the geyser was installed.

Is there such a thing as a "bendy" or flexible screwdriver so that I can effectively work at right angles?

Sounds crazy but it's the only thing I can think off!

  • 2
    What's a geyser? – Martha Jun 29 '11 at 21:45
  • I'm assuming it's not this kind of geyser. – Doresoom Jun 29 '11 at 21:47
  • 1
    Aha! Thank you Wikipedia for your disambiguation pages. Looks like it's a water heating system. – Doresoom Jun 29 '11 at 21:59
  • Yes - in NZ it's the device that heats domestic hot water. – rbrayb Jun 30 '11 at 2:00

A right-angle screwdriver will probably work for your situation. They're also fairly inexpensive.

enter image description here

As for "bendy" screwdrivers, they do make them under the label "flexible shaft screwdrivers," but most of them have pretty low ratings on Amazon. The best one appears to be the EazyPower Flex Extension, which is meant to be used with a drill.

| improve this answer | |
  • 4
    The problem with a truly bendy driver is transferring the torque consistently. – ChrisF Jun 29 '11 at 22:07
  • you can get a cheap right angle screwdriver at any hardware store of a couple of bucks. Not as fancy as the kit above. – shirlock homes Jun 30 '11 at 9:15
  • 2
    Less fancy version – Tester101 Jun 30 '11 at 11:51
  • This is exactly what I'm looking for but I guess I'll have to import it! – rbrayb Jun 30 '11 at 19:45

If you have a small ratchet set and screwdriver bits, you can chuck a 1/4" (I believe) socket into the ratchet and then slide the appropriate screwdriver bit into the socket.

| improve this answer | |

If your goal is only to remove something that's attached there, you should also consider using a hacksaw to cut the screws.

| improve this answer | |
  • What if you decide removing the something wasn't a good idea? Then you're stuck with the challenge of finding a right angle screw extractor as well as a right angle screwdriver. – Doresoom Jun 30 '11 at 20:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.