We have an old home (circa 1920). Our front door has windows on the side and above those windows are these curtain brackets. Unfortunately the remodelers didn't leave the curtain rods, and they are unfamiliar to me.

Can anyone tell me what the name is or what kind of rod goes with them?

close-up both brackets

Sorry for the poor-quality image.

  • It looks like those get a non-bent version of a standard expandable rod. I had some in my house that I threw away 2 years ago. Sorry I didn't save them. – BrownRedHawk Aug 26 '15 at 16:23
  • Take another picture at night, it will help with the glare. – WarLoki Aug 26 '15 at 17:23

I've seen similar shaped curtain brackets. They used a length of coiled spring rather than a solid rod.

| improve this answer | |
  • This is definitely the correct answer. – Jason Hutchinson Oct 26 '15 at 15:35

These brackets are to stretch something - a string or something similiar - to hang curtain onto. These are definately not rod-bearing brackets.

| improve this answer | |
  • I think those shaped cutouts are to provide tension, not to wrap or stretch anything. They accept and oval rod – BrownRedHawk Aug 27 '15 at 11:30

I had these same brackets original to my house (before a rather slash and burn approach to cleaning and cosmetic updates). They can receive one of several types of rods. There is a cutout portion that acts to tension the oval shaped rod that goes between both sides. It is doubtful you will find an exact, original replacement. I suspect mind had been long lost to time and a clumsy hand.

The profile of an expandable, oval profile, curtain rode could work if you delicately cut off the curved necks (scroll saw or similar).

Similarly, it wouldn't look to out of place to whittle down a dowel rod, so that the ends were shaped and tapered to fit snugly into the brackets.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.