Trying to use a second-hand oven (bought in France) but it has this strange plug I've never seen before:

enter image description here enter image description here

The wall sockets in the kitchen are just the usual EU one:

enter image description here

I searched the hardware store for an adapter, but could only find the inverse direction. And if I search for "four monophase adaptateur" ("four" is oven in French) then I also only see pictures of adapters going the other direction.

What is the plug? Is there such thing as an adapter to convert to a normal socket, or some practical reason why this only possible in the inverse?

If there is no such adapter, what will be involved to get this oven working - will it be as simple as wiring up the correct socket into the wall, or there may be more involved?

  • Leaving as a comment as I claim no expertise in continental appliances. I am guessing that the plug has information regarding voltage and amperage on it. A local appliance repair center should have a cord and plug that you can install to match your receptacle. This is assuming that the receptacle meets the minimum requirements of the stove.
    – mikes
    Commented Aug 19, 2015 at 23:51
  • 4
    You don't typically plug a stove into a standard wall outlet. You need a separate circuit run that's rated at a high enough amperage to handle the high load of a range.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 4:49
  • Also, where is the receptacle located? Is this the one located behind the range? (Do you have one located behind the range?) Receptacles for electric ranges are typically located on the floor or on the wall near the back of the range itself.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 4:56
  • Finally, it says in your profile you are in Melbourne? If so, note that amp and voltage standards offer differ quite a bit from country to country. You need to make sure you are plugging that stove into a dedicated circuit rated for the amperage and voltage the range uses.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 4:59
  • @DA01 I'm from Melbourne but currently located in Paris
    – wim
    Commented Aug 20, 2015 at 5:44

2 Answers 2


It looks like an NF C 61-315 standard French single phase plug:

NF C 61-315

These are are rated for 400V, 32A on a single phase. The socket you have pictured looks like a French style Schuko (CEE 7/3), which is typically only rated to around 16A. My guess is that unless you already have a socket that was intended for use with an electric stove, the wires are likely not a suitable gauge to handle the current demand.

If you have an outlet with the appropriate wire gauge, it would probably just be a matter of replacing either the outlet or the plug. If you have any doubts, I'd consult an electrician before attempting to connect it.

Image credit: "Power connector Legrand 32A" by Kae - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Power_connector_Legrand_32A.jpg#/media/File:Power_connector_Legrand_32A.jpg


I'm from the US, but I know about electricity from other parts of the world. This plug/cord you have here is probably a NF C 61-315 single-phase French plug. You have to replace the Schuko receptacle with the one listed above.

  • 3
    I don't see how this has added anything to the answer that's already here and was accepted 5 years ago. Nothing at all wrong with adding more detail in, even years later, but please make it more detail, not just more of the same.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Dec 7, 2020 at 17:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.