I hit my head on the open door cabinet over the sink, yet again, and slammed the door shut in anger. Adding insult to injury, the whole hinge pulled out of the particle board and took a big chunk of the door with it: Photo of damage

enter image description here

Is there any way to fix it? I know these are terrible cabinets, but replacing them isn't in the plans.

  • 8
    You could remove your cabinet doors. They're in the way of access to your dishes, and they hit you on the head, and they break easily. Stupid doors.
    – Jay Bazuzi
    Jun 24, 2011 at 17:41

3 Answers 3


Particle board is generally pretty glue-able. Apply wood glue to the raw particle board and clamp the two pieces together overnight.

  • 1
    Particle board tends to decompress a little when it gets split apart like that. You're going to have to shave a little bit out of the joint to get it to sit flush again. Jun 24, 2011 at 16:23
  • 1
    Agree, glue and clamp. good advice Scott Jun 24, 2011 at 19:29
  • I (finally) glued it with some epoxy, clamped it up well, and it looks good as new (from the outside) and works fine. Thanks! Apr 10, 2012 at 15:56
  • Have similar problem but in small area. Will the repair last if use ELMERS Carpenter's Wood Glue instead of epoxy? Apr 4, 2016 at 10:02
  • 1
    @Riga probably be fine. But if it fails, Elmers is water-soluble. Just wet it a lot, keep it wet, stiff-brush away the glue, let it dry very thoroughly like over 2 days, then epoxy it. Epoxy is as good as it gets. Feb 6, 2017 at 18:33

Those hinges look like they'll tolerate being moved, so you could make a cosmetic repair to the particleboard and move your hinge down a few inches to undisrupted door.


Flip it, drill new holes for hinges and hanging and then patch, sand, and stain the damaged side so looks good as the face of your cabinet.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.