My wife & I spent a fair amount of time setting up a VideoSecu heavy articulating wall mount in a position & height that we liked.
Problem is, the top-left lag screw (5/16" thick, 3" long) broke in half once it got all the way in the stud (1.5" wide).
The rest of the screws were already tightened. What is the best way to proceed?
As far as I can tell, my options are:
- Screw extraction, then use a larger lag screw. This seems iffy since 1.5" of the screw is lodged deep in the wall (drywall around 1" thick, it broke off beyond that depth).
- Leave old screw, drill new lag screw in a different direction (in this case unfortunately it would have to be UP at an angle, but the rest of the mount looks pretty damn sturdy so mostly worried about stud integrity).
- Move everything - take out the 3 existing other lag screws, move entire TV mount installation up/down. In this case I'm worried about the stud also losing integrity by removing the 3 very large lags nearby (& since we'd be screwing the new installation in nearby, ~3" up/down).
- Move mount to entirely new stud location. This is likely not possible as there aren't any other studs in the house that will fit the TV near our living room.
- Abandon project after removing installation.
Obviously #5 is the worst solution. My current thinking is #2 since it's the path of least resistance but I don't know how worried I should be about it vs. the other options. Or perhaps there is another idea I haven't thought of?
Wall mount weight: ~50lbs. TV weight: 60lbs.
All help veryyy appreciated!! We are totally stuck!
At Grant's suggestion, we screwed in a new 5/16", 3" long lag screw next to the existing broken off one. So far so good, can hold the very large TV.
One interesting thing to note - regardless of how much I piloted, the screw was still very hard to get in. Perhaps the stud was tough, but I still needed to use an open socket wrench with a fair amount of torque to get the last 1" in. Drywall surrounding this is a mess, but intact so is still providing adequate support to the stud & mount.
I will update this thread in a month or so, or if there are any problems in the meantime.
Update, Oct. 2015: No issues to report.