In this answer I advised the OP to use what I called a 'toggle latch' or 'draw latch'. Do these things have a proper name?

toggle latch draw latch

  • Cabinet/box spring hasp?
    – Gunner
    Aug 14 '15 at 16:47
  • @Gunner Don't think I'd use the word "hasp", since the definition doesn't quite fit. "a slotted hinged metal plate that forms part of a fastening for a door or lid and is fitted over a metal loop and secured by a pin or padlock.".
    – Tester101
    Aug 14 '15 at 17:00
  • Maybe "clasp", or "catch".
    – Tester101
    Aug 14 '15 at 17:01

In the U.S. the item you refer to is most often called a draw catch. There are other names, depending on manufacturer and purpose, but I worked 19 years in commercial and residential hardware supply and we always called that a draw catch.


I know them as an over centre latch.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.