I would like to build a gate like the ones below. What hardware do I have to buy for this?

enter image description here enter image description here

1 Answer 1


First one is a small pipe inside a large pipe, perhaps with some actual bearings, perhaps not.

Second one is just hinges mounted at the corner of the wooden post.

  • Thanks Ecnerwal. Any idea what can be used to prevent sagging? I think that his is critical for horizontal fences
    – MiniMe
    Aug 9, 2015 at 15:03
  • Very long, deeply buried, well-compacted around post. And, since both gate designs you have shown overhang the post, counterweights in the short side of the gate so it's balanced at the post.
    – Ecnerwal
    Aug 9, 2015 at 15:32
  • Thanks again. Now when I go for shopping what do I ask for when I want to buy the pair of pipes you mentioned above? Can I but such thing?
    – MiniMe
    Aug 9, 2015 at 15:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.