I am cutting a large circular hole in some Ikea furniture and I need a metal trim to cover inside of the hole. I'm not sure what the right words are that would describe this part. Do you know where I might find something that can cover the inside of a circle cut out of wood?

What I'm looking for is something that looks like this and is roughly 10-15 cm in diameter, but in two pieces so each side is protected. I'm not sure what they are called though?

enter image description here

  • If you are just covering the inside, and not a border around the top, then you don't need a metal circle, you need a flexible metal strip to run along the inside of the circle, correct?
    – mbeckish
    Commented Aug 7, 2015 at 15:30
  • Hi, I need something that will cover the inside with a lip that overlaps the edges to protect the edges of the circle. I was imagining that there might be metal circles that could be bought is set diameters and possibly depths (or preferably adjustable depth). I have no idea what you might call it, coving maybe? Commented Aug 7, 2015 at 15:34
  • What is the intended purpose of the hole? Decoration, cables, hardware? That will affect the suggestion. Commented Aug 7, 2015 at 16:29
  • Hi, good question. It's for a home made rage cage. I need to create a hole between some wood in the middle of the furniture so the rats can get through. I need something to protect the edges of both sides of the circle/hole so the rats don't get caught on it or nibble, hence why some kind of metal would be ideal. Bit random I know. :) Commented Aug 8, 2015 at 20:57

1 Answer 1


Are you looking for a desk grommet?

enter image description here

I would recommend getting the trim piece prior to making the hole, as your size options will not be unlimited.

  • That's not a bad Idea. I might start searching for them and see what comes up. Commented Aug 7, 2015 at 15:42
  • You can use one on each side to protect both edges, if the wood is thick enough. You can get these in many sizes and finishes. Commented Aug 7, 2015 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.