Does an induction stove and an electric oven need to be on separate circuits? If they can be on one, what amperage circuit breaker do they need?

My house has a different circuit for each one, 50 amp for oven, 40 amp for stove. They are on opposite walls, and I'm redesigning my kitchen and would like to place them next to each other. So, if I could use the same circuit it would be much, much easier than having someone come out to relocate the second outlet, since I think relocating that outlet is beyond my comfort zone.

I'm looking at the amps required for a induction stove/oven combo, and they mostly say 40 amps, but when I look at just an induction stovetop by itself, it says 40 amps, and the wall oven I'm looking at says 20 amps. Little confused why it totals to much more when they are separate appliances.

  • 1
    This may be common knowledge, but I still feel it's worth noting based on the wording of the question and the comment that "relocating that outlet is beyond my comfort zone": The question asks about the required circuit breaker rating, but you cannot just upgrade the breaker. You will also need to make sure the wire supports the current load calculated by NEC 220.55 in the answer quoted by Kris and upgrade it if necessary if you decide to use the single circuit approach. Aug 10, 2015 at 20:52

2 Answers 2


See table 220.55 in the NEC, as well as footnote 4 to that table:

  1. Branch-Circuit Load. It shall be permissible to calculate the branch-circuit load for one range in accordance with Table 220.55. The branch- circuit load for one wall-mounted oven or one counter-mounted cooking unit shall be the nameplate rating of the appliance. The branch-circuit load for a counter-mounted cooking unit and not more than two wall-mounted ovens. all supplied from a single branch circuit and located in the same room, shall be calculated by adding the nameplate rating of the individual appliances and treating this total as equivalent to one range.
  • What about manufacturers calling for a dedicated circuit? I would presume the above exception is not an option.
    – Kris
    Aug 10, 2015 at 20:39
  • @Kris -- I presume that'd be a condition of listing, in which case the Art. 110 requirements that equipment be installed IAW its listing apply. Aug 10, 2015 at 22:13
  • I think I'm having a difficult time interupting this section. The end sounds like it is saying to just add the nameplate rating together? I am looking at a 240V 40amp stove, and a 240V 40amp double oven. I may also do a 20amp single oven instead... undecided at this time. Aug 11, 2015 at 16:23
  • 1
    @Kyle -- you apply the footnote 4 provision to add the nameplate ratings together, and then treat the combined load as one range when looking it up in table 220.55 to determine the demand factor you need to apply to that load. Aug 11, 2015 at 23:11

Absolutely not.

You cannot just stick two or more appliances together and call it a combo and think it will be okay.

Edit unless you follow the NEC 220.55 code calculations. If the manufacturer calls for a dedicated circuit then the above exception may not apply.

As a final note, circuits should be brought up to current electrical standards if need be.

  • 1
    From an educational standpoint, becuase I want to learn, not trying to say you are wrong, whats different about them that makes seperate units take a total of 70 amps (40 stove, 30 oven), when a combined unit only takes 40? The stove of the combined unit is rated exactly the same kw for the burners as the seperate unit. Aug 7, 2015 at 22:13
  • 1
    If I were to make a random guess I would say a computer chip performs load balancing so you can use both appliances safely.
    – Kris
    Aug 7, 2015 at 22:39
  • 2
    There are special rules in the NEC for this case -- your answer isn't correct as a result. Aug 9, 2015 at 0:53
  • @ThreePhaseEel duly noted.
    – Kris
    Aug 9, 2015 at 2:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.