My dad has asked me to fit a flue for his wood burner, he has a bungalow. He has purchased some ducting, which I'm not sure is suitable for the job, he also has not purchased a top piece to connect it to the chimney pot. According to him you can just leave it 'floating'...

I'm going to assume the answer will be 'don't do it the house will burn down' but at least I can show that to him so he doesn't go ahead with it!

So I have two questions,

1. Can the ducting be used for a wood burner? enter image description here enter image description here

2. How can I attach it to the top without a 'top', or can I leave it just floating? I seems dangerous to me. enter image description here enter image description here

  • Ventillation ducting does not have the ability to withstand the high temperatures encountered with a wood burning stove. This will melt well before the proper stainless steel liner material that should be used starts to turn color leaving aluminum puddles and a disconnected stove freely venting into the living space. Aug 7, 2015 at 3:47

1 Answer 1


Well, at least the building is brick.

No, this is not remotely suitable for a solid fuel burning appliance. As the label indicates, it's for ventilation, exhaust hood, or tumble-dryer - and would appear to be aluminum. It will burn through in short order if used on a wood burning stove.

  • Thank you I'll show him your answer and hopefully he will listen!
    – Adam
    Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.