I'm fairly competent as a DIYer, but I don't have the ability to dig in to this problem directly yet.
I'm considering buying a very historic house (more than 180 years old). The wiring coming out of the breaker box (and it is breakers) appears to be relatively modern. That is, it has plastic sheathing rather than a paper-like stuff that I have seen in some older houses.
However, all of the outlets I saw during the tour were un-grounded three-plug outlets. That is, you could plug three lamps in with out needing a splitter. However, nothing had a ground pole. (I'll post a picture if I ever find one).
Does this indicate some complication (beyond lack of ground) that I should be aware of with the wiring in the wall?