I want to drive a cable up a cupboard. The shelves are too long to simply put the cable behind them, so I want to create an indentation in the removable shelves.
enter image description here

I do not own a drill press, and I do not want to buy one just for this. I do not even have the space for it. How can I do this with only a manual drill? Is milling a good idea, or should I press the shelf between two parts of wood, and just drill it?

As this is on the non-visible side of the shelf, a V shaped cut with a saw is also an option.

  • 1
    It's difficult to figure out what you're asking. Do you want to drill an actual hole or route a dado/groove? Because you mentioned drill press, this assumes you want to drill a very straight hole. In that case, check out this: amazon.com/Gator-V-DrillGuide-Standard-Portable-Drilling/dp/…. I have one and they're a must-have for straight, accurate drilling if you don't own a drill press. I drilled a 3/8" wide, 4" deep hole right into the edge of a 1/2" sheet of plywood once and the bit went straight in without coming out either side. – oscilatingcretin Aug 3 '15 at 13:29

Just clamp a scrap of plywood to the top of the board and use a hole saw to cut through both boards.

| improve this answer | |

For a relatively small groove, a little bit of hand work with a round ("rat tail") file does wonders.

| improve this answer | |

If you're taking the shelves out to do this process why not just cut the corner off? It would look better than a hole. If you want to groove in a notch or dado then the rat tail file is a better option.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.