(Based in the UK) I am building a fence on top of a low wall by attaching 100mm fence posts to the brick wall and then attaching my fencing to the posts.

My problem is this the fencing is quite heavy so the posts have to be sturdy. I was originally going to attach the posts to the wall with three throughbolts per post but the wall is under the control of the Environment Agency and they will not allow this.

Instead they have asked me to attach the posts with three 'cleats', a metal bracket that would wrap around the post, be attached to the post in the centre and then attached either side of the post to the wall via a small rawbolt. The actual post is 4" (100m square) but I need to add another 2" (50mm) of packing so that the posts stand clear of the wall coping.

My problem is that I cannot find such cleats, I have found a fixing band that could be bent round


but I dont know how easy that is and how strong it is. I would prefere ready made cleats, so my question is does anyone sell cleats to the size required. Diagram

  • The fixing band look (by dimensions: 1mm thickness, 20mm wide) very fragile. I wouldn't take this. I can't tell exact computed dimensions, but I bet it needs to be like 2-3mm thickness and 30mm width at least. Furthermore, bolts need to be carefully chosen giving the post dimensions and clamp spacings (this can be computed on the paper) to get proper resistance. I'm at work now, so it's hard to do that now... Jul 30, 2015 at 11:44
  • I haven't put the thickness/width of the cleat accurately, that isn't the issue the issue is the length because of the timber packing. i.e I have since found tecoproducts.co.uk/fencing/fence-panel-post-brackets which would work if it wasn't for the timber packing Jul 30, 2015 at 14:01
  • Ok. Well, then I guess that simple math will allow You to get an answer. If I was You, I would set minimal packing dimension and choose proper bracket (cuz You don't get all desired sizes with 1mm interval...), Packing can be little thicker, am I right? Jul 31, 2015 at 6:31
  • hmm, I dont understand your answer and im not sure you understand my question. Jul 31, 2015 at 6:49
  • I would look at something like an expanding concrete anchor like Hilti, which would allow you to use something like a properly sized bolt into the threaded anchor. Then there would be no need for strapping, and no need to "through bolt" Aug 11, 2015 at 13:32

3 Answers 3

  • You have found 100mm x 100mm brackets
  • You need the 100mm x 100mm post to be 50mm off the face of the wall

Simple solution - have the 50mm packing between the bracket and the wall, and use long bolts which pass through this packing.

  • Thank I came up with this idea myself but they were not keen but their reasoning was not clear. Aug 13, 2015 at 12:27
  • Eventually they agreed this, I used a long rawlbolt, because it was so long I had to buy seperate bolts and threading bar and do it that way Feb 23, 2016 at 16:44

Sometimes there is no alternative to having something custom fabricated. The fixing band you link to in your initial questions is not appropriate for this task and it is highly unlikely you are going to find "ready made cleats" that are manufactured for the particular packing you need to clear the coping. Find a reputable metal welding/fabricator shop in your area and arrange to have them make the cleats you need. Some small fabricator shops can be very reasonably priced. 1/8" (3mm) thick mild steel flat bar might be a good material, but it would need to be coated with a suitable exterior grade paint. Alternatively, you could pay for more expensive aluminum or even stainless cleats to be made, depending on what the fabricator shop has on hand, your budget, and the aesthetic requirements.


There are several ebay sellers that supply 100x100mm brackets, you could try contacting some of them and asking them if they can source 100x150mm ones:



Alternatively perhaps you can pack out the 100x100mm ones (i.e. make the packing extend behind the bracket lugs then fix all three fixings through the packing).

  • Nice idea, contacted both and one has gone back to his manufacturer to get a price Aug 13, 2015 at 17:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.