Hi I am looking to clear span 16' interior load on single floor home with light storage in attic. The opening now is 12' supported by 2 2 x 10 hemlock with 3/4"cdx glued in as core. Dose this need more support for the extra 4'? Thanks Ed


If it's a load bearing wall (seems likely), you need an engineer.

  • Or if your local inspector takes a look at it you can offer a well oversize solution - if he agrees. I have done this in place of engineers for simple things like this and the $40 extra for the beam was well offset for the $500 architect plans. This is all determined by house structure and how good the inspector's ability is. – DMoore Jul 28 '15 at 18:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.