The house currently has a 3/4 inch conduit to feed the main wires coming from the power company to the breaker box. This is very much inadequate. I plan to upgrade to a much bigger breaker box. My question is what size wire should i use from the meter to the breaker box. There is no NEC or any kind of regulation here and SE wire doesnt exist here so ill just run separate wires through a new conduit.

  • 1
    Where is here?? Everyone has to follow some sort of codes. Even if it's just your utility's requirements. Jul 27, 2015 at 1:22
  • @SpeedyPetey -- some places are backwards/crazy enough to not have any sort of electrical code, although I'd be astonished if his utility didn't have requirements on services. Jul 27, 2015 at 1:27
  • Ecuador. There arent any requirements of any kind as long as you dont break the meter.
    – Learner
    Jul 27, 2015 at 2:02
  • Unless you know that the utility service is identical to the US (or another country), I think you should just talk to the utility company about how many conductors and what size. Even if there aren't formal building codes there will be local standards.
    – Hank
    Jul 27, 2015 at 3:17
  • i assure you there are no local standards. you walk down a street and you see the meters all over the place with different amp sizes for no reason, the wiring is done with plastic tape rarely do you see wire nuts. I assure you there isnt anything. So im trying to go by american standards as much as possible. Even today people steal electricity from the high tension wires. They just hook up light bulbs and stuff to it. Or they run gigantic thin extension cords across entire streets.
    – Learner
    Jul 27, 2015 at 4:28

1 Answer 1


For a 200A residential service in the US or Cananda typical would be 4/0-4/0-2/0AL or 2/0-2/0-1/0CU conductors. Either combination would normally be run in 2" conduit.

This is only scratching the surface of what you need to know to do this project. Are you aware and knowledgeable of all the other requirements/codes/etc???

  • Does this assume 120/240V single split-phase service, or would this hold true for three phase or 230V 50hz single phase as well?
    – Tester101
    Jul 27, 2015 at 1:36
  • Does that mean i could buy three separate wires two 2/O and one 1/O. If i wanted to add grounding would i need to run the ground wire out to the meter? Would that still fit in the 2 inch conduit.
    – Learner
    Jul 27, 2015 at 2:04
  • @Tester101, I think you know this applies to single-phase 120/240V services since this is a "Home Improvement" forum like it says at the top of the page. And since the original poster says there is no "NEC" or other codes one could have safely assumed he was in the US. I guess that was an incorrect assumption. Jul 27, 2015 at 19:05
  • 1
    Seeing as the question is not about a US installation I will refrain from replying further. My answer still stands with regard to a US or Canadian installation. Jul 27, 2015 at 19:07
  • @SpeedyPetey I was asking because I thought the OP might not live in the US.
    – Tester101
    Jul 27, 2015 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.