I am installing new moulding (aka baseboards, woodwork, etc). A few of the walls sort of dip inward, so a gap is left in between the moulding and drywall. What's a good material for patching this gap? Would ordinary spackle do the trick or is there a better alternative? It has to be something I can paint over.


This is a simple job for caulk. Just get a tube, run a bead, and smooth with your finger. Allow to dry, and paint it the same color as the baseboard. If the space is wide enough, first try to close the gap by nailing the moulding into the closest stud. If the caulk shrinks too much, after it dries you can run another bead on top.

Note that spackle would crack when the baseboard moves.

| improve this answer | |
  • I got some caulk today and will probably get around to installing the moulding at the end of the week. Thanks to DA01 for also answering. – oscilatingcretin Jun 15 '11 at 2:10

paintable caulk. Spackle will crack eventually.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    I like DAP painter's caulk. It's smooth, very white, low shrinkage and water soluble for easy clean up of any access on the wall. Cheap too, usually around $2 a tube. – shirlock homes Jun 14 '11 at 10:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.