Recently I was using a Ryobi cordless drill to work on some drainage equipment. Unfortunately it caused a spill and a little water got on me and the drill. I did not think it was a lot of water (and I thought the battery had stayed dry), but after that the drill's battery stopped working. When I place it on the charger, the charger says that the battery is fully charged, but the battery's power indicator button doesn't cause it to light up and I can't get it to run a flashlight.

Is the battery kaput? Or is there something I can do to salvage it?


The classic fix for electronics that have been dunked in water is to put the item in a sealed plastic bag with a bunch of uncooked rice for at least a few days. The rice will draw the moisture out of the electronics, and you might get lucky.

Alternately (and I have no personal experience with this), it seems like Ryobi has a good warranty policy. If the rice doesn't work, you might try that route.

  • 1
    m.xkcd.com/1598 – isherwood Dec 3 '15 at 20:17
  • Good idea. But if the first step doesn't work, be sure to clean all the rice out of the drill before sending it in under warranty. Ryobi is a Hong Kong company and you don't want to risk appearing insensitive. – A. I. Breveleri Jan 2 '16 at 22:48
  • 1
    The problem with putting electronics into rice right after liquid damage is that the contaminants dry out and may still cause problems and/or make it harder to remove them in a proper repair step. You want to displace the contaminants, so the best thing to do is (besides removing any power sources which is admittedly a bit hard in the case of a battery pack) rinse things in IPA (or if you have to lots of distilled water) and then dry it. – PlasmaHH Apr 14 '16 at 11:08
  • @PlasmaHH - that's an awful waste of beer. I'd stick with distilled water. :-) – RoboKaren Jul 2 '16 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.