How do I drill a hole flush (or nearly flush) against another surface? (eg. in a tight corner; a 90 degree angle.) The power drill bit is offset a little by design, and I don't want to drill at an angle. What kind of tool or attachment should I be using?

2 Answers 2


You could use a flexible shaft bit holder

flexible shaft

It easily bends to 90 degrees, is designed to be used with hex shaft bits and takes up less room than a 3/4 inch bit.

 Images and links are for illustration only, not an endorsement of products/sources.
  • This is perfect. It's thin enough, versatile, and not costly. Thanks!
    – Derek M
    Commented Jul 2, 2015 at 23:53
  • 2
    If you read the documentation for some of these, they recommend you not use them drilling. Drilling often involves higher RPMs, which these units are not designed to handle (especially when bent at tight angles).
    – Tester101
    Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 0:34
  • @Tester101 I agree that they are not great for high speed drilling. The bit does not lock into the shaft's collet, just held by the hex shape and a magnet. But for slower speeds they work pretty well. And you often need just a little bend to get the drill bit close to the wall.
    – bib
    Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 2:19
  • Might be true of other brands, but not the item linked above. It comes with no instructions and there are no rules about power drill use on the packaging. I even bought compatible drill bits from the same company.
    – Derek M
    Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 2:24
  • A small caution - if you are drilling deeply, keep backing the bit out to clear the waste and keep the bit running freely. If you do not, you can end up with a bit buried and stuck in the wood that the magnet can't extract.
    – bib
    Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 2:27

You could try a 90 degree drill bit adapter.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.