I tried to take down a shelf yesterday and water started coming from the wall. Called a plumber and discovered this in my building's water main:

Screw in building water pipe

The pipe is big enough and close enough to the drywall that it probably looks just like a stud to a stud finder or similar.

Is there any way I can install some kind of nail guard in front of the pipe or otherwise standard way I can indicate to the next guy to not drill in this location?

  • LOL, too bad it wasn't an electrical cable or the problem might have been "self-correcting". What you need to do is tear down all the walls in the house and install 1/4" hardened armor plate in front of all the water and electrical pipes. – Tyler Durden Jul 2 '15 at 18:18

That screw seems to have found the magic spot and I think it's unlikely to happen again, however you might want to somehow strap a protection plate around the Tee; I wouldn't worry about the rest of the pipe.

  • There's a protection plate already every place the pipe goes through the stud. – Billy ONeal Jul 2 '15 at 22:31
  • @BillyONeal By "the rest of the pipe", I meant the vertical run. AFAIK, there's no standard practice for protecting that. Good that it is otherwise, as it's required on stud penetrations. – Mazura Jul 2 '15 at 22:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.