I have beautiful fireplace in my family room. It is gas rather than wood burning, and it vents straight outside.

Due to the nature of how it is vented, I don't really get much heat from it, and I think I am losing a lot of the heat it could be generating during winter (and therefore wasting a lot of energy and increasing my cost.)

After reading my fireplace manual, it appears that I can install a blower that can move heated air from around the exhaust back into the room. There were no instructions on how to do so, however.

What would it take to install a blower for my fireplace, and where might I find a very quiet blower? The noise level is an important factor, as I've heard some fireplace blowers that are extremely noisy, and given the acoustics of the room, I worry it will drown out sound from the entertainment system.

  • I tried to use the tag 'blower', however it appears I don't have that right until I reach 150 rep? Could someone edit my post and add 'blower'? Thanks!
    – jrista
    Commented Jul 29, 2010 at 7:19

1 Answer 1


I would contact the manufacturer of the fireplace; either by phone or on the web, they should have a blower designed for your fireplace. They may also provide instructions on hooking it up, or offer installation as a service.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.