The plug/electrical for my pool is connected to one circuit breaker. I bought a new pump that only needs a regular outlet with a ground. Does it have to be a GFI outlet if it's got it's own circuit breaker?



NEC 2014


680.21 Motors.

C) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors connected to single-phase, 120-volt through 240-volt branch drains, whether by receptacle or by direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Check with your local inspections department for any requirements that they may have.

  • @Tester101, thx but I can't find the code that requires the single yoke twist lock receptacle. Can you please share. Thx
    – Kris
    Jun 14 '15 at 20:27
  • Probably smart. Thx for the update.
    – Kris
    Jun 14 '15 at 20:42
  • 1
    @Tester101 But you can use a GFCI breaker feeding the specialized receptacle.
    – bib
    Jun 14 '15 at 21:12
  • @bib Yes, that's correct.
    – Tester101
    Jun 14 '15 at 21:40
  • 1
    Just a point of interest. Under the 2014 NEC the "Employ a locking configuration" requirement in 680.22(A) was removed. Many places are already under the 2014 NEC so it's worth a check. Also, this twist-lock requirement was only for pump motor receptacles in the 2011 NEC. Jun 15 '15 at 1:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy