I have a piece of signed TV artwork that is mounted in cardboard frame aprox 1cm deep, that i want to hang on the wall. I've had a look round and most of the frames i've found aren't deep enough to fit the piece in.

What are my options for framing and hanging thick artwork?

  • 1
    Most any frame shop can custom build you exactly what you need. Otherwise, if the issue is that you need depth within the frame, google 'shadow box'
    – DA01
    Commented Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18
  • 1
    @DA01, can you please post this as an answer so it can be voted on and accepted? Commented Jun 6, 2011 at 14:51

3 Answers 3


1cm isn't really "deep" for artwork. You won't find a photograph frame to fit it, but pretty much any frame for a canvas will be deep enough. You should be able to find these in arts / crafts stores that have a lot of frames. Often department stores will have only photo frames, so you'll probably have to look in more specialized shops.

Otherwise, any frame shop will have a ton of frame styles they can custom size for you. This will be a more expensive option, but you can get the artwork installed in the frame you select with very little work on your part.


I would have a framer build a frame that is essentially a plexiglass case for the work. Usually, the frame is 5 sides of plexiglass that are screwed into the solid backplane from the sides.The work can be mounted on the solid backplane. I would love to include a picture here but can't find any that show the correct side-view detail.


You probably want a shadow box display case like this website has. I'm sure you could find others on the web that might be closer to what you're looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.