What is the name of this pin?this pin I have a cheap piece of furniture where two of these pins are used as hinges: one side goes in to the frame and one side goes in to the door. I lost one of the pins and I can't find the name of it to buy another one.

4 Answers 4


If it's 5mm in diameter, it's a common shelf pin / shelf support.

  • I must say, I have never seen one with a shoulder and round on both ends, one end is usually slightly flattened.
    – Jack
    Jun 14, 2015 at 15:39
  • Jack - Do an image search with Google using "Shelf Support Peg" as the search term. You will see just how many styles of these things there are. In the picture search results you will see quite a number of pegs that are almost identical to what @Poster has shown. Many of the pictures are from UK based auctions on eBay that are showing them as 5mm bright galvanised steel shelf pegs.
    – Michael Karas
    Jun 14, 2015 at 17:29
  • I did check, I knew there were a many, I did not want to go by my memory which is not the best. I thought about 30 years ago I seen that type of shelf pins used in a cabinet...
    – Jack
    Jun 15, 2015 at 16:16

I do not know the name of the pin, it is probably specific to the maker.

An easy replacement is a short steel dowel and a washer. Set the dowel in the hole add the washer, which is a spacer and set the door panel


its a shelf pin. you can get them here:



Divided pin. They are used for shelf rests but also as inexpensive hinge pins.

  • A link or reference supporting the name would be useful. Apr 27, 2016 at 13:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.